April 23, 2020 – ECA Ontario wrote to the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) regarding an unfortunate, and no doubt, unintentional consequence of the Ontario Government’s actions to stop the spread of COVID-19; specifically the expiration, renewal, and “empty” or “lost” costs of electrical permits to electrical contractors throughout the Province for jobs that are/were shuttered. As a result, ESA has proposed the following relief:
- No permit renewal fees will be applied to/charged for any site to which a contractor DOES NOT have access.
- If you have a permit renewal fee due during this time, contact ESA who will (on a case-by-case basis) extend the permit for thirty (30) days.
- Renewal, as well as all other fees and permits, will continue for projects considered “essential workplaces” and to which you have access.
- No permit fees are being charged for Temporary Emergency Health Care Facilities or Temporary Residential Facilities.
- ESA is charging zero fees with respect to Home Care Ontario program.
- ESA is also pausing interest charges on outstanding permits.
It is ECAO’s understanding that ALL legitimate requests for extensions as outlined above will be granted. It is the contractor’s responsibility to request the extension of time.
Please do not make requests for extension of time for projects to which you have access.