ECA Ottawa

Ontario Enacts Provincial Stay-At-Home Order

The Ontario government is immediately declaring a third provincial emergency under s 7.0.1 (1) of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMPCA). Premier Doug Ford says the order will take effect at 12:01 a.m. Thursday morning and last for four weeks. Ford says stores providing essential goods will remain open during the four-week period, but they will only be permitted to sell grocery and pharmacy items. He says the new measures are necessary to fight the third wave of the pandemic that threatens to overwhelm the health-care system. The new restrictions follow a decision last week to impose a four-week provincewide shutdown that put an end to short-lived indoor and outdoor dining and lowered capacity for retail establishments as well as indoor and outdoor gatherings.