What type of work does an electrician do?

There are several fields in which an electrician might work provided they have the appropriate certification:

  • ICI Sector – Work in this sector is Industrial, Commercial and Institutional.  This is referred to as a Construction and Maintenance Electrician.
  • Low Rise Residential Sector – This sector is restricted to housing excluding high rise residential buildings.
  • Lineworkers – This sector is restricted to the high voltage and the utility sectors.

How to become a Construction & Maintenance (ICI) Apprentice

What is involved to become an Electrical Apprentice in Ontario?
All Apprenticeships in the province of Ontario require that an apprentice has a sponsor or trainer. You will need a 12 diploma with math, english and physics. You will need to complete the application.  Also, the electrical apprenticeship requires you to complete 9000 hours of on the job training (approx 5 years)  as well as complete 3 levels of a Ministry approved trade school. You need to complete all of this prior to writing the certification exam.

What is the JAC?

Our purpose is to recruit, select, assess, counsel and educate electrical apprentices in the Ottawa area. We are a recognized Local Apprenticeship Committee (LAC) under the direction of Local Union 586 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) and the Electrical Contractors Association of Ottawa.

What do I need to be an apprentice?

Motivated, physically fit and mechanically inclined are all good qualities to have when applying for an apprenticeship position.
Completed High School Diploma
(After 1984- 30 credits/ Prior to 1984-27 credits)
Official transcript including the following:
Grade 12 Math and Grade 12 English
Typed resume with references

Note: A “GED” (General Education Development) Certificate may be accepted in special situations as a substitute for the diploma only. Please contact the JAC.

How do I apply to become an apprentice?

You need to find a signatory employer who is willing to sponsor you. They will contact the ECA Ottawa office with your contact information. You will be scheduled to complete a mechanical aptitude test.

What is the application process.
Step 1 − The JAC will schedule you for a mechanical aptitude test.
Step 2 − Successful candidates will require JAC approval.
Step 3 − Approved Candidates will be added to list.
Step 4 − Contractor calls for new start – Contract of Apprenticeship signed.

What is the process for work and school?

Complete 30 Hours of Health & Safety Training, WHIMIS and Fall Protection.
Step 1 − Work for approximately 2500 hours- 40% for first 1800 hours and 50% for next 700 hours at Journeyman’s Wage Rate.
Step 2 − Complete Basic Code Book Training and Construction 1- prior to Basic Trade School
Step 3 − Attend Basic Level Trade School for eight weeks (240 hours credit)
Step 4 − Work for approximately 3000 hours- 50% for Balance of second term, 60% for third term and 70% for Fourth term hours.
Step 5 − Complete Construction II- prior to Intermediate Trade School
Step 6 − Attend Intermediate Level Trade School for 10 weeks (300 hours credit)
Step 7 − Work for approximately 3000 hours- 70% for balance of 4th term and 80% for balance of fifth term hours. Need to have hours at 8700 hours before attending Advanced Trade School.
Step 8 − Complete Construction Ill- prior to Advanced Trade School
Step 9 − Attend Advanced Trade School for 10 weeks (300 hour credit)
Step 10 − Attend Pre-exam course (week 11) while at Trade School (30 hour credit)
Step 11 − Write Certificate of Qualifications Exam, must obtain 70% for Inter-Provincial Seal.

When can I start working?

There is no defined amount of time that this process may take.

What if I don’t have the education requirements?
We suggest that you contact one of the following services in order to obtain the needed course(s):
Your local Secondary School for information regarding night school:
Local school Board for Continuing Education
Department for Adult Education Centres.

Where will I work?

Placements for the JAC are within the jurisdiction of Local 586. The city of Ottawa, the counties of Prescott and Russell and counties of Lanark and Renfrew in Ontario as well as the counties of Hull, Papineau, Gatineau and Pontiac in Quebec. You must provide your own transportation to the job site.

What if I have a Journeyman’s Licence from another Country?

Please contact the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW 586) or the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities (MTCU) Apprenticeship Branch.

What if I was educated in another country and do not have my transcript?

You can obtain your transcript from the school board in your country of origin or contact your local embassy for help. Your marks must also be translated and assessed.
Please contact:
International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS): 1-800-321-6021
Email: info@icascanada.ca
Website: www.icascanada.ca

Ask for Comprehensive Report and state it is for the JAC application process.

Where can I find out more information on apprenticeship in the province of Ontario?

You can find out more by contacting the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
Telephone: 613-731-7100
Website: www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/employmentontario/training/

OCOT Apprenticeship Training Standard

Electrician – Construction & Maintenance 309A
Electrician – Domestic and Rural 309C

Ontario College of Trades